Monday, January 10, 2011

Recipe for disaster (maybe not the right title)

Let's get this straight people.  I'm a chef.  I love to cook.  I love to make people happy.  I also love to express myself through my food.  You can't do that by cooking another person's dish.  What do I mean that?  RECIPES!  If there's anything that I took with me from culinary school, it's "Don't rely on recipes."  Ok ok, right now all I hear is "But I really don't know how to cook!  I need a recipe!"  Fine, but use the recipe once and throw it away.  After you've made the dish once you sort of know what it's supposed to look like and taste like.  But maybe you don't like those capers in there or you wish there was more heat or "you know what would go really well with this?!"  Make the dish your own dish.  Cooking, for me, is an art and artists express themselves through their work. When I show dishes I've cooked on my blog I always say "a little bit of this" or "some of that" etc etc.  That's because I'M NOT MEASURING.  Everything I do is "eyed out."

Baking is a totally different story.  Don't get me started on baking.

Now if you're owning a business, that's a totally different story.  The reason people come back to restaurants to eat is just not for the good food for but for consistency.  If you eat an awesome dish at a restaurant, come back and get the same dish but it's not the same, chances are you're not going to be happy.

Even though my last blog was an actual recipe, it was MY recipe.  A recipe I tested out myself.  The only reason I did that was because a restaurant I worked for liked my crabcake and wanted to put it on the menu.

So please stop asking me for recipes!  If you want a recipe there's something on the internet called GOOGLE.

bien manger

-cwis

1 comment:

  1. asking for a recipe = crib notes

    (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crib%20notes)

    ReplyDelete