Monday, March 15, 2010

Only way to get this is upstream.

So last night I had made Salmoncakes for the first time...at home I've made them at work but I never put any effort into it.  I must say, I don't really gloat about my food but these salmoncakes were pretty good!  Just going to post some pics for now but I'll write the rest of the blog later...enjoy!


Salmoncakes, Lime Aioli
Sauteed Asparagus


**UPDATE**

Salmon cakes are easy to make and there are so many different ways to make them.  I really had no recipe in mind.  I just got some salmon and figured I'd use whatever I have at home. 

So I got about half a side of salmon, which is roughly about 1.5lbs.  I looked in my fridge and found red bell pepper, onion, mayo, mustard, and limes.  I baked my salmon for about 10-12 minutes in a 350 oven with a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper.  As the salmon baked, I sauteed my diced onions and bell peppers at medium heat for about 8 minutes or so.  After everything was cooked I let it cool in my fridge.  

Now that everything's cooked the salmon cakes need to be assembled.  In a bowl I mixed about a cup of mayo, half cup of mustard, 2-3 dashes of Tabasco and Worcestershire, juice of 1 lime, about half teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning and my salmon and vegetables.  Mix together remembering not to break the salmon up too much, you still want some big pieces of salmon for texture.  Right now you have a wet salmon mix.  Add bread crumbs until you can form a ball without it falling apart...about 1.5-2 cups.  You can use any kind of breadcrumbs you want.  I recommend Panko Breadcrumbs which is a Japanese breadcrumb.  It has a much crunchier texture when you cook with it.  

Form your salmoncakes into whatever shape you desire.  Get a pan out with some oil hot and lay down your salmoncakes.  Once you've put all your cakes in, turn down the heat to medium and just let it cook.  You want a nice golden brown on each side, which will probably be about 1.5 minutes each side.  Don't worry about it being "cooked" in the middle...EVERYTHING IS COOKED IN IT.  If you're making this ahead of time, you can heat your oven to 200 degrees and keep your cakes warm in there for 10 minutes or so.

I'm very tired as I write this blog so if I missed anything please let me know and of course I will answer any questions you guys have.  Enjoy!

bien manger
-cwis

3 comments:

  1. mmmm seafood in general and asparagus is my fav! you don't have to gloat but you could put up more pictures of what you cook, i'd like that! do you prefer asparagus thin, regular or jumbo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on how you're going to eat it...

    by itself - jumbo...you get more
    chopping it up - standard...it's bite size
    doing decorative stuff - pencil(thin)

    just make sure you don't eat too much...it'll make your pee smell!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post! the salmoncakes look amazing, i might actually try this recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete